Subscribe to the Martinis and Your Money Podcast!
2016 Goals – Happy Hour Style
In case you are new to this blog or my podcast, typically on the last Friday of the month I host a happy hour on my podcast where the happy hour ladies and me talk about various money topics. However, this Friday I’m doing things a little bit different since the last Friday of December fell on Christmas, I decided to postpone happy hour to the first Friday of the month. In this episode we are talking about our 2015 year-end review and letting you know what we plan to work on in 2016!
What are we drinking?
Melanie from Dear Debt — Red wine while she is at Shannon’s house
Tonya from Budget and the Beach — Fetzer Vineyards Cabernet
Mrs. Frugalwoods (Mommywoods) from Frugalwoods.com — Seltzer while holding Babywoods
Shannon — Gin and Tonic (her 3rd or maybe even 4th as she has been drinking for a while)
THINGS WE ARE CELEBRATING
- We are welcoming Babywoods to the Martinis and Your Money community!
- Mr. and Mrs. Frugalwoods (aka Nate and Liz) were outed on The Today Show and are no longer anonymous in the financial community! Check out the feature here http://on.today.com/1THxEV6
- Melanie is officially debt free! $81,000 later…
- Tonya is officially gainfully employed! The position was created specifically for her!
- This episode marks the one-year anniversary of Martinis and Your Money Happy Hour episodes.
- Tonya says the ladies of Happy Hour are a testament to working hard towards a goal and accomplishing it despite obstacles.
- Melanie explains that changing her mindset is what led to the accomplishment of her goal of becoming debt free.
- Frugalwoods says you have nothing to lose by starting to work towards your goals today. You can move slow and that’s okay!
- Shannon hated the idea of New Year’s Resolutions because she felt like she was setting herself up for failure, but now she realizes goals give us purpose and direction to achieve what we want in life.
What the Happy Hour ladies are intentionally focusing on in 2016:
- Tonya says her 2016 is about rebuilding her funds and building financial peace of mind.
- Frugalwoods says besides keeping Babywoods and Frugal Hound alive, her financial goal for 2016 is to continue their savings rate and to be more patient.
- Melanie has a lot in store for the new year and says it’s going to be a rebuilding year as well as a transition year for her.
- Shannon’s big goal for 2016 is to sell her company. Shannon says she is selling The Financial Gym for the opportunity and hope that the business will grow faster with a larger company’s resources.
Advice about focusing on goals so they will happen
- Tonya’s advice is to visualize your goals. Create a vision board, written goals need to be something you see and reflect on all the time.
- Frugalwoods says she can either make progress on her goals or not, but time is going to pass no matter what so she might as well work on accomplishing her goals.
- Melanie plans to focus on her goals by preparing for them, visualizing them, and holding herself accountable for making progress.
- Shannon explains that when distractions, life events, or opportunities arise, she always asks herself how it measures with her passion of helping other people. If it contributes to that then she knows she is on the right path, but if it detracts from that she has to refocus on what is important.
- Shannon is a big believer in finding motivation from anywhere. You need all the motivation you can get!
Never be afraid to set big goals for yourself. Even if you fail to achieve them, you’ll learn something along the way and have a unique experience getting there!