Balancing Priorities and Money
Today I am talking to Cat Alford, solopreneur, freelance writer, blog owner and mom to 9 month old twins. When I first “met” Cat, I saw her all over the personal finance space and thought to myself that she must never sleep because she always seemed to be writing. At the time, she was pregnant with her now 9 month old twins. When the twins were only a few weeks old, she and her husband moved them from Louisiana to New Jersey and they now live only 45 minutes away from me. Over the past 7 months, we have become good friends in real life, and we got together to talk about her evolution.
The Grapefruit Martini
This is one of my favorite martinis that is based off the “Pompelmo” from Mario Batali’s restaurant, Tarry Lodge.
2 oz Vodka
1 oz Elderflower Liquor (St. Germain)
1 oz Fresh Grapefruit Juice
1 oz Prosecco or Moscato
Shake the first three ingredients over ice. Pour into martini glass and top with Prosecco or Moscato.
- Cat discusses the various life transitions she has had over the last year between self-employment, moving to Louisiana from Grenada, having twins, to moving to NJ
- Cat shares what she did one hour before the twins were born
- Cat discusses the struggles she felt with feeling like a “failure” at everything
- Cat explains why she worried she would be “just like her mom”
- Even though I hate the book, “Lean In” came into the conversation
- Here’s my working mom post I reference
- Cat talks about a day in her life pre-twins and post-twins
- Cat and her husband have a 6 chore system that is the key to their success at home and she shares what it looks like
Random 3 Questions Cat Answered
- Do you make New Year’s Resolutions?
- What’s your biggest budget weakness?
- If you are going to impress someone, what would you cook?