Podcast: Play in new window | Download
The Struggle to Find Happiness: Shannon’s Story to Building the Financial Gym
Today’s Martinis and Your Money episode is a super special one for me to share with you. As some of you may or may not know – I have been building my business, the Financial Gym, for the last four years. We just finished a fundraising round where we’ve raised over $1.5 million to grow the gym and make sure there are Financial Gyms across the country. As a result of this, I am going to be doing a lot of PR and sharing my story. Before I go on a bigger PR-blitz, I wanted to share my full story with you!
It has been a wild and rewarding ride these last four years – and I am going to share it ALL with you – the good, the bad, the ugly and the truly miraculous! My great friend, Melanie Lockert, is joining me today to drink and share my story. I hope you enjoy hearing about my journey and that it inspires you to take your own big leaps of faith as well. Cheers!
What are we drinking?
Melanie — a Malbec
Shannon — Chai Martini
- 2 oz of Vodka (I prefer vanilla vodka for this recipe)
- 2 oz of Chai Tea Mix
- 1 oz of Almond Milk
- Shannon’s story begins halfway through her 30th year of life.
- When she turned 30, Shannon felt great about herself – she was married, and she had a child, a great home and a great job.
- Halfway through 30, she started to wonder what the fuck happened.
- She was miserable and living a life she didn’t want to live.
- At the time, she was working for a hedge fund in New York and was put on a project in California working with a Buddhist/life coach attorney.
- They became great friends and he ultimately became Shannon’s life coach and introduced her to the book that changed her life – Happiness: A Guide to Developing Life’s Most Important Skill by Matthieu Ricard.
- The core of the book says “to really achieve ongoing happiness is to help other people and to help other people without expecting anything in return.”
- Melanie says changing your life to focus on helping others is a huge mindset shift.
- A few weeks later, Shannon received a call asking her to come back to work for Bank of America.
- She initially said no, but after thinking and praying about it, she realized this might be her opportunity to help people and lead her to her purpose so she took the job.
- She began working with Merrill Lynch financial advisors and learned the ins and outs of the financial advising world.
- Shannon shares how her separation and home life affected her work-life and career path.
- Shannon thinks that if you feel something strongly, there is a reason, and that you should trust yourself and follow your dreams.
- Shannon believes to follow your dream you must first show people that it can work and then gather support, but keep your ideas close to the chest until they have blossomed.
- Shannon believes that one of the most important things is networking because you never know when they will help you.
- Sometimes you have to go to bat for yourself and tell people what you want and what you need because people aren’t mind readers and a closed mouth doesn’t get fed.
- One of Shannon’s favorite quotes is “you miss 100% of the shots you don’t take,” by Wayne Gretzky.
- Shannon believes the true core of an entrepreneur is faith even when you cannot see.
- She wants all her listeners that are on a hard road to know that if you keep pushing on and keep believing you will get there.
- In every moment that you feel like giving up you must recommit, and if you do that you will be rewarded.
- Shannon wants all her listeners that are on a hard road to know that when you recommit and eventually get to where you want to go it will make the journey worth it.
- TAKEAWAY: Listen to your gut and your instincts about where life is supposed to lead you – personally and professionally.
Random Three Questions
- What “Sex in the City” character would you be?
- When you’re stressed at do you get a massage or go to the hot tub?
- If you were on Death Row what would you have for your last meal?
To everyone who has supported me on this journey thus far – THANK YOU! – for your words of support and encouragement, your prayers, your kind thoughts, your hard-earned money, your hugs and your humor. I also want to thank my team at the gym. I am so fortunate to work with six badass, compassionate and hard-working women who work non-stop to make sure that they’re easing others financial suffering. You inspire me everyday, and I am so thankful to have you on this ride with me.
If you are a badass, compassionate and hard-working person who wants to join our team, we are currently hiring in New York City! Email your information to my teammate Kim at email@example.com and let her know all about you! If you live in another city, send her your information as well because we will be opening gyms across the country before we know it!
If you still want to know more about the Financial Gym, I encourage you to schedule a free call here to find out more. No matter where you are in your financial journey, my financial trainers can get you where you want to go. Head over or send friends to financialgym.com/friends to sign up today!