Stop Existing and Create an Extraordinary Day with Cara Thomas from SerenFlipity
On this episode of Martinis and Your Money, I am talking to Cara Thomas. What if your friends gave you ideas to get you out of your comfort zone? That’s exactly what happened on a trip for Cara Thomas, founder of SerenFlipity.
Before a trip overseas, she collected 90 idea cards written by friends and acquaintances. Each card challenged her to get out of her comfort zone and do something out of the ordinary. What she discovered was something extraordinary: Ways to connect with strangers, explore unfamiliar territories, and discover strengths she didn’t know she had.
Today she shares her adventures and talks about how she created flip cards you can buy online. Cheers!
What are we drinking?
Cara — Sparkling Water with Lime and Ginger
Shannon — Black Cherry Seltzer Water
- Cara took a 90-day sabbatical from her job and traveled to East Asia, and on her trip she asked her Facebook friends to compile a list of 90 adventures for her to embark on each day.
- Cara’s favorite adventure was getting a mantra from Stephen Tyler, and Cara’s least favorite adventure was going a day without technology.
- The mantra that Stephen Tyler gave Cara was: “you can’t reach the other shore until you lose sight of the shore you are on.”
- Cara’s final challenge was from a woman she met in Bali and it was for her to change her challenge of having 90 days of adventure into a product and SerenFlipity was born.
- SerenFlipity is a game that gets people out of their comfort zone and brings more adventure into their life, whether it be their love life, family, or work life, it brings more adventure into life.
- It began with a deck of cards with adventures on them, much the same as Cara’s personal adventure began.
- It now is morphing into events hosted by SerenFlipity that send strangers on adventures out into the world with the goal of returning with artifacts that represent a pre-specified emotion.
- SerenFlipity currently has 30 different adventures that are divided into three categories of adventures: (1) adventures to explore new places; (2) adventures to connect with people; (3) adventures to spark new ideas to match the adventures to each person’s goals.
- The adventures can be a one-time adventure or they can be a new way to live one’s life.
- The card may force you to give something away to a stranger one time or to try to give something to a stranger everyday.
- Cara wants to grow SerenFlipity into a part of each user’s everyday routine, whether its through products, technology, or events.
- Shannon likens SerenFlipity to a life coach in a deck of cards, a card to help you challenge yourself.
- TAKEAWAY: Embrace the serendipity of life and look for ways to get yourself unstuck.
Random Three Questions
- What is your favorite thing to do with your downtime?
- What is a show you like to binge-watch?
- If you could travel anywhere in the world where would you go and why?