Confronting the Student Loan Debt Crisis
In today’s podcast, I’m talking to author and financial literacy expert, Adam Carroll, about his latest project, Broke, Busted, & Disgusted. This documentary is about the growing problem of student loan debt and how it is impacting our country.
As a financial planner working with predominantly Gen X/Y clients, I have a front row seat to just how bad student loan burdens are and how they impact our ability to achieve our financial goals. I am glad that Adam created this documentary to shed light on this problem and I hope that it brings about change that so many people desperately need.
What are we drinking?
Adam — Coffee & Baileys
Shannon — Vodka soda with a splash of cranberry (Shannon’s marathon drink)
- Adam is a financial educator and a self-proclaimed financial literacy junkie.
- After he graduated from college, he realized he was a broke professional.
- Because of that, he now teaches college students to live like a broke college student so they do not end up like he did when he graduated.
- Broke, Busted, & Disgusted was crowd-funded.
- Student loan debt keeps you from achieving other goals you want to achieve.
- Community college is a great way to get an education and graduate with less debt.
- Adam tells his kids he wants them to have an MBA (Massive Bank Account) before they go to college.
- A predictor of a student graduating from college is having $500-$1000 in their bank account.
- Shannon says today she only uses 5% of what she learned in college, and the rest of what she has learned is on-the-job experience.
Random Three Questions
- What is your favorite book you would recommend to someone about financial literacy?
- If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you want to go and why?
- What do you do to relax?
Connect with Adam