Craft a Job You Love
On this episode of Martinis and Your Money, I am talking to Kate Gremillion, founder of Mavenly + Co – a company that provides young women with resources to design a career and lifestyle with purpose – about going from being an employee to being an intrepreneur. I think there’s too much focus these days on taking the leap and becoming an entrepreneur. As an entrepreneur, I can honestly say it’s not the right career path for everyone and I love the idea of creating the perfect job for you within the framework of an already established company. Kate is going to share her best practices and tips for how you can craft the right job for you without having to create it on your own. And now here’s Kate.
As a side note: the first Financial Gym location has opened in New York City at 226 5th Avenue, 5th Floor. Please stop by and have a drink with us if you are in the area or check out The Financial Gym online for its tools and resources to help you break free from your financial challenges and live a financially healthier life! We’ll kick your assets into shape!
What are we drinking?
Kate — Vodka soda with cherry mio
Shannon — Deep Eddy’s grapefruit vodka with club soda
- Kate graduated college and was offered a job as a sorority consultant with a one-year term length.
- That job let her travel to over 30 different states to work & talk with women about what their sorority meant to them.
- It really opened her eyes to how so many college women were focused on the here and now and not focused on the real world.
- After a year, she moved to Dallas, TX and began working with one of the biggest PR agencies in the world.
- A month in, she realized how soul-sucking her new job was.
- She didn’t see an opportunity where she was to eventually be happy.
- Shannon says her clients that are unhappy with their jobs spend more money.
- Kate sat down with other women and started asking how they designed a career they love – this lead to her blog & podcast and eventually Mavenly + Co.
- Kate & Shannon agree that there are opportunities within the place you work that will provide happiness by taking initiative in your job.
- This is called being an intrepreneur.
- Kate’s advice for those wanting to advance their career where they already work includes:
- Time-tracking – write down every single thing you do in your job and rate every task either positive or negative based on the way it makes you feel.
- Work to solve problems within your workplace.
- Take a career assessment to find your strengths.
- Tell people what you are looking for.
- Don’t be afraid to apply for a job that you don’t qualify for.
- Shannon says you shouldn’t just think about how much you dislike your job, think about the solutions to make things better for you.
- Kate says there are so many companies searching for intrepreneurs.
- If you are giving everything you have to a company that doesn’t value you, then you may need to find something else.
- TAKEAWAY: The number one way to make more money is within the place you work, and the best way to spend less money is to be happy in the place you work.
Random Three Questions
- What is your biggest fail as an entrepreneur?
- Are you a dessert person or an appetizer person?
- What is a movie or book that changed your life?
Connect with Kate: