Driving a Bus and Other Fun Millennial Jobs
I am continuing Millennial Money Week on the podcast today, and talking about jobs. Joining me for this topic is Amber Berry from the blog Feel Good Finances. I recently met Amber in person. When she mentioned her job of driving a city bus – I just had to have her on the show. Amber shares the ups and downs of a millennial trying to find work she loves, a problem for a number of people not just millennials.
What are we drinking?
Amber — Lemon-lime Gatorade
Shannon — Earl grey tea
- Amber began her string of odd jobs when she was a freshman in college.
- She has been a city bus driver for 6 years now.
- Since she graduated college, she became a trainer for bus drivers.
- She graduated with a biology degree and tried some jobs related to her degree, like DNA research, but she decided that wasn’t for her.
- Amber thinks she has had so many jobs because her job as a bus driver allowed her so much freedom and the opportunity to grow as an individual and the other jobs she has tried have not.
- Shannon thinks there is now a degree of pickiness among millennials when finding a job.
- Amber thinks she would be different about choosing a job if she had children and a dog, but since it is just her right now, she knows she can take care of herself.
- Shannon says job turnover is a lot more common among millennials than not.
- TAKEAWAY: Sometimes a job is just a job. Even if you hate it, remember you are learning along the way. Eventually you will find a job that is meaningful to you!
Random Three Questions
- What is your favorite childhood memory?
- What is a book that changed your life?
- What is a website that you spend a lot of time on?
Connect with Amber: