Temping Your Way to a Full-Time Job
Today I am talking to my real life friend, Jenn, whose career has turned into something she wasn’t expecting. While in college, she had hopes of working in the Middle East and saving the world; however, after a summer temp job turned into a full-time offer, Jenn’s plans changed. Jenn recently took a big and scary step in her career and she is going to talk about why she did it and what results she has seen because of it.
Pink Lady Martini
I used to hold a monthly women’s networking meeting called “Martinis and the Markets” and during one of these meetings, which Jenn attended, the Pink Lady was a martini served (Please note this is not the 1950s classic Pink Lady martini, rather an NYC restaurant’s version of it).
- 2 oz Citron Vodka
- 1 oz Pomegranate Juice
- 1 oz Lime Juice
- 1/2 oz St. Germain (elderberry liquor)
Shake all ingredients over ice in a cocktail shaker. Pour into martini glass.
- Jenn shares how she progressed from wanting to “save the world” to a career in corporate finance
- After realizing she had over $150,000 in undergraduate student loan debt, she focused on finding a job that would pay the bills
- Jenn describes how she turned a temp job into a full-time job
- Jenn shares how she overcame her lack of academic background to become successful on the job
- Jenn explains the role of LinkedIn in helping her with her career progression
- Shannon talks about the importance of not selling yourself short on your capabilities
- Jenn shares her fears and concerns with interviewing for another job
Random 3 Questions Jenn Answered:
- What’s the best career advice you ever received?
- What’s your most embarrassing moment?
- What is a food that you could eat everyday and not get sick of it?