Getting Unstuck with Jen Hemphill
On this episode of Martinis and Your Money, I am talking to Jennifer Hemphill, Money Confidence Coach and host of the Her Money Matters podcast: Money Talk For Women. Jen’s philosophy is money should enrich your life, not stress you out. She believes that “your money mindset is the foundation to success with money, and your money skills – like budgeting and saving – are the bricks that go on top of that foundation to build a strong financial home.” Jen shares her story about feeling trapped and frustrated because of money. From there we discuss the four important money lessons she learned while trying to get unstuck from her money behaviors.
As a side note: I have to apologize for the sound quality on this episode. I recorded the first half of the show before I realized my mic was not turned on. I never like to redo a show because I love the organic flow of my conversations! The good news is that Jen sounded great. I want to publicly apologize to my podcast editor, Steve, who had to cringe through most of this, and I promise to all of you that I will do better next time! Cheers!
What are we drinking?
Jen — Coffee
Shannon — Schweppes Black Cherry Seltzer Water
- Shannon was a guest on Jen’s podcast last December.
- Jen is a military spouse and always wanted to do something career-wise that she could take with her every time they moved.
- She tried real estate for a while and then became a stay-at-home mom.
- During her time as a real estate agent, she noticed that first-time homebuyers ALWAYS wanted to buy more house than they could afford.
- That led her to becoming an Accredited Financial Counselor.
- Throughout that process she reflected on her own financial choices and ended up learning some very valuable lessons:
- Your upbringing significantly affects how you treat money.
- Experts don’t always have a solution.
- Don’t overcomplicate your finances.
- You don’t have to do it alone!
- Shannon shares her experiences of how she learned those 4 money lessons for herself.
- Jen and Shannon each suggest some ways for anyone feeling stuck to change their situation and be more in control of their money.
- TAKEAWAY: Your personal money journey is unique to you so focus on finding the answer that’s best for you and not on what someone else says is right for you.
Random Three Questions
- What is your favorite place you have lived?
- What is your favorite show to binge-watch?
- What do you do for your downtime?
Connect with Jen:
If you need or want someone to help you with your money, I hope you’ll reach out to my team at the Financial Gym. You can schedule a free call to find out more. No matter where you are in your financial journey, my financial trainers can help you get where you want to go. Head over to or send friends to financialgym.com/friends to sign up today!