The Happy Lawyer Project
On this episode of Martinis and Your Money, I’m talking to Okeoma Moronu, an attorney and host of the new podcast, The Happy Lawyer Project, about how she is helping young attorneys find meaning and joy while also earning the income that they sometimes need to earn. Okeoma and I actually have a very interesting past that we share on the show! I think this is a great conversation for anyone who is looking for happiness while in pursuit of your career, no matter what your career is. Cheers!
At the end of this episode we are starting a new segment called Live! at The Financial Gym where we will answer questions, highlight success stories, and more! Today you will meet Financial Gym trainer, Bridget, and find out why she joined the gym and became a financial trainer!
As a side note: the first Financial Gym location has opened in New York City at 226 5th Avenue, 5th Floor. Please stop by and have a drink with us if you are in the area or check out The Financial Gym online for its tools and resources to help you break free from your financial challenges and live a financially healthier life! We’ll kick your assets into shape!
What are we drinking?
Okeoma — Michelada? (beer with tomato juice)
Shannon — Cava + grape fruit San Pellegrino
- Okeoma and Shannon actually met three years ago when Okeoma became interested in personal finance blogging and reached out to Shannon.
- They ran into each other at FinCon this year and reconnected!
- Okeoma got the idea for the Happy Lawyer Project after she developed anxiety around trying to make money and pay off her debts.
- She wanted to craft a life that wasn’t so stressful!
- Okeoma eventually found happiness in the job she already had by doing more of the things in her job she actually enjoyed like mentoring and project management.
- The Happy Lawyer Project is meant to highlight other lawyers who have found their happiness in law and help others to find happiness in their careers!
- Shannon says there are a lot of occupations with a high pay trajectory without a high happiness trajectory.
- Okeoma has found people to interview for the podcast through people she has already interviewed and not all are attorneys – some are financial planners and one is a relationship coach!
- Shannon discusses how she was not happy in her career at one point and hired a life coach, which helped her rediscover her happiness.
- She says it is how you work through it that is the game changer, and how you work through it is all in your own head.
- Don’t wait for the “if, then” situation, start your happiness journey now!
- Shannon and Okeoma discuss the book Happiness by Matthieu Ricard, which Shannon’s life coach had suggested she read.
Random Three Questions with Okeoma
- What do you do in your down time?
- What is your favorite season?
- What is a book that has inspired you?
Connect with Okeoma:
Random Three Questions with Bridget
- Are you an appetizer or dessert person?
- What is your favorite movie to watch over and over again?
- If you won a million dollars tomorrow, what would you do with it?