Helping Women Talk About Money and Investing
If you’ve been listening to this show for a while, you know that I’m a supporter of women started businesses and also events, services and products designed to help women better manage their money. I’m such a supporter that a few months back a listener left an iTunes review saying that I was anti-male and reverse discriminatory. I know that there’s gender sensitivity out there, I’m blonde, not dumb, but the facts around gender roles and personal finance unfortunately speak for themselves, women earn 30% less than men, they don’t invest as much, they’re targeted for more consumer and credit products and they live longer.
I’m not anti-male, as the founder of a financial services company, I just see the disparity all day long and I’ve made it my mission to close the financial gaps that I see. All that being said, this is why I’m excited to have today’s guest on the show. Hilary Hendershott is a financial planner and host of the Profit Boss podcast who has decided to host a women’s wealth building event called Profit Boss live.
What are we drinking:
Hilary – Americano (espresso with hot water)
Shannon – Lemon Lime Schweppes
- Hilary shares how she became a financial planner through her father’s financial planning practice
- We briefly speak about bubbles and how you manage around them
- Hilary discussed the fact that she was a financial mess and shared how she changed her behaviors to become more successful
- We talk about our experience of working with women who don’t understand their finances and how it has failed them in the past
- Shannon asks Hilary how she helps her client’s get comfortable with investing
- Hilary blames national news media for people’s issues with investing
- We discuss the jargon and lingo that’s out there and how you can understand it better
- We talk about the difference between men and women when it comes to talking about investing
- Hilary talks about Profit Boss Live and why she created this event
Random Three Questions
- What do you do to relax?
- What is a show that you like to binge watch?
- If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go?