His and Her Money
Today, I’m excited to have Talaat and Tai from the His and Her Money website and podcast on the show to talk about managing through money challenges while also trying to maintain a strong and happy relationship. I love the honesty that Talaat and Tai bring to the money conversation, and I truly feel as though every time I talk to them I learn more about how to have a healthy relationship around money. After discussing their personal struggles, I ended the show by asking their opinion on some recent difficult money challenges I witnessed. I hope you enjoy the conversation!
What are we drinking?
Talaat — water with lemon
Tai — water with Organifi
Shannon — Diet Coke
- Tai grew up in a frugal household and when he set out on his own, he did not maintain his frugal lifestyle and accumulated a lot of debt.
- Talaat grew up in a frugal household and maintained her frugal lifestyle even when she and Tai got married.
- They were high school sweethearts but went their separate ways when Tai joined the military.
- They eventually got back together and got engaged without Talaat knowing about Tai’s debt.
- Three months before Tai and Talaat got married, Tai shared that he had not been completely honest about his financial situation.
- Talaat was shocked and hurt that he had not mentioned his financial situation before but chose to forgive him and work together to pay off the debt together.
- You have to ask yourself if your marriage is a covenant or a contract—Tai and Talaat teach others that marriage is a covenant.
- Shannon admits some mistakes she made with money during her marriage.
- Tai says people do not have an understanding of what teamwork actually means.
- Shannon gives Tai & Talaat some money scenarios to address:
- Keeping a money secret from your partner
- Your significant other has a money habit you don’t like
- Your significant other wants joint finances and you don’t
- If you can communicate effectively about money with your partner, you can communicate about anything!
- TAKEAWAY: Remember the importance of communication! If you are going to commit to spending the rest of your life with someone, make sure it is someone you trust with knowing everything about you—including your money struggles!
Random Three Questions
- What is your favorite thing to do with your free time?
- What is a book that has influenced your life?
- When was the last time you fought about money?
Connect with Talaat & Tai: