Investing Tips from the World’s Top Investors
On today’s podcast, I am talking to William Green, the author of the new book, The Great Minds of Investing, which provides insights and perspective from 33 of the top investors in the world. Included in this amazing list are Warren Buffett, Mohnish Pabrai, John Spears and Tom Gaynor. Together this group is responsible for managing trillions of dollars of investor money, and William shares what he learned from spending one-on-one time with this impressive group.
What are we drinking?
William – 5th coffee of the day
Shannon – 1st and only cup of coffee of the day
- William gives the background as to how this book was created.
- Between the 33 investors highlighted in the book, William estimates that they manage more than $1 trillion in assets
- William shares that most of these investors are heavily influenced by Warren Buffett and his philosophies
- Shannon asks out of the 33 great minds on the list, how many are women
- William talks about why many top fund managers tend to be men
Characteristics of Great Investors
- They think for themselves and detach themselves from the crowd
- They consider the downside more than the upside
- They have a high pain tolerance – they don’t always make the right decisions and it’s easy to want to close shop when things get tough, but the best investors stick with their plans and live through the pain.
- William shares why the average investor has an upper hand over the best fund managers around
Random Three Questions William Answered:
- What was your most fascinating interview?
- What is one of your biggest financial regrets?
- What is your favorite thing to do to unwind?