Managing an Unconventional Career Path
Today I am talking to Mel from Broke Girl Rich, and I have always been fascinated by her story. For those of you who are not familiar, after randomly signing up for the wrong class in college, Mel discovered a love for the behind the scenes work in theater. So rather than pursuing a career teaching or in the Peace Corps, Mel took a job on a cruise ship where she ended up working for the next five years of her life. After her cruise ship experience, Mel got a job with the circus.
One of the best things I love about Mel, though, is that she followed a career path that may be unconventional to most but inspired great passion in her. It’s difficult for many of us to follow our passions; however, for those that are brave enough to take that path, a truly surprising journey may unfold before you.
What are we drinking?
Mel – Saranac IPA (not near as crazy a beer label as Joe’s)
Shannon – Bud Light (I am a big believer in beers and barbecues for celebrating Memorial Day weekend so I had a number of beers leftover from the weekend and indulged with her.)
- Mel shares the graduation surprise that she had for her parents
- Mel talks about what cruise ship life was like and how it compared to Animal House
- Mel talks about why you left the cruise life for the circus life
- Mel discusses her current job and the challenges of managing the schedule
Random Three Questions Mel Answered
- What’s your favorite roadside attraction?
- If you could live in any other country, which country would you choose?
- Which do you prefer to travel by, car, plane, train or boat?