Networking Tips from a Networking Pro
I recently shared on the blog the power of networking as it led to my first investor in my new company, and I wanted to dive deeper into networking on the podcast. So I am excited to share today’s episode with you. I met Jenny Powers at a Running with Heels networking event for women a few months ago only to find out that Jenny started the company. In this podcast, she shares a number of great thoughts around networking, why it’s important, how to do it best and how to maintain yours with a busy lifestyle.
What are we drinking?
Jenny – Freshly Squeezed Lemonade and Prosecco
Shannon – Grapefruit Martini – Deep Eddy’s Grapefruit Vodka, Freshly Squeezed Grapefruit, Agave Syrup
- Jenny talks about how she started her company – Running with Heels
- Think about networking as going in and opening a relationship rather than closing a sale
- You need to be as authentic as you can when you network
- You need to think about building your network before you need it
- Your network is like a garden, you need to plant it, tend to it and continue to plant more seeds
- Gaining the Know, Like and Trust factor is a goal of networking
- Go to a networking event thinking about how you can help someone rather than asking for help
- Shannon mentioned her favorite book about Happiness
- Shannon asks Jenny why she thinks that women don’t help each other more in the workplace
- Even though Jenny hosts her own networking events, she explains why she created a group for other women who host networking events
- Shannon talks to Jenny about where she sees Running with Heels going next
- Jenny recently started her own podcast – Broadcast – Broads Building Businesses Podcast
- Jenny discusses how to maintain and build our networks with busy lifestyles
Random 3 Questions
- Who is a mentor that inspired your life?
- What is your favorite thing to do on a Saturday night?
- What is a book or movie that has influenced your life?