Personal Care Spending
Today is the last Friday of the month, which means it’s happy hour time on my podcast. This month’s topic was inspired from an after show conversation that we had a few months back. After we stopped recording one episode, the four of us ended up talking for almost another half an hour about the struggles of trying to keep up with what society expects of us and how much money we waste trying to look good.
I wrote about this on the blog on Tuesday, and we get into it in more detail during this episode, but if you are looking for ways to spend money on personal care or even retail, you should probably examine how you feel about yourself first. So many of us waste our hard earned dollars trying to be someone that we think we need to be instead of realizing that we are fine just as we were made.
The four of us share some very personal stories and ways that we combat the marketing ploys to save money and our mental health, and I hope you enjoy the conversation.
What are we drinking?
Melanie from Dear Debt – Malbec
Tonya from Budget and the Beach – 2 Buck Chuck Cabernet
Mrs. Frugalwoods from Frugalwoods.com – Spiced Chai Decaffeinated Tea
Shannon – Pink Lemonade Martini
- 2 ounces of vodka
- 3 ounces of pink lemonade
Shake both ingredients over ice and pour into a martini glass.
- We each estimate about how much we spend on personal care every month
- Our most expensive personal care spends include:
- Tonya – haircut
- Mrs. Frugalwoods – razors or vitamins
- Melanie – a massage twice a year from the local massage school
- Shannon – hair and makeup
- Mrs. Frugalwoods shared that her journey to frugality led to self-love
- “Self love will save you a lot of money.”
- Our Top Cheap Beauty Secrets Include:
- Shannon – Oil of Olay
- Melanie – used coffee grounds for exfoliation and cellulite prevention
- Mrs. Frugalwoods – cut your own hair
- Tonya – sleep, water, cut back on sugar, cut back on alcohol
How much do you spend on personal care every month? What’s your biggest personal care expense and what’s your biggest personal care money saving tip?
Bonus: If you haven’t seen this video from Amy Schumer, it will make your day!