RV to Money Boss
On this episode of Martinis and Your Money, I am talking to JD Roth, who is best known for growing and selling his website GetRichSlowly.org for an undisclosed amount of money. He calls the proceeds “his retirement savings” but they gave him the ability to achieve a dream of traveling across the US in an RV.
JD Roth shares the highlights and low points of his trip, including eating bean soup out of a can, not taking showers, and adopting a puppy. Which ones are the high and low points? That’s up to you to decide.
What are we drinking?
JD — Spindrift seltzer
Shannon — black cherry seltzer water
- JD and his girlfriend have been on a 15-month RV trip around the United States.
- JD considers himself an accidental personal finance expert because he has no formal training or credentials.
- At one point he found himself in over $35,000 of consumer debt and decided he wanted to change his financial situation so he started www.getrichslowly.org.
- Shannon and JD discuss some of the odd chapter titles in Think and Grow Rich.
- Once JD sold his website and entered his semi-retirement phase, he realized the reason he had not gotten in shape was because of no other reason than himself.
- If you can save half of your income, you can get rich relatively quickly.
- Both Shannon and JD agree that getting clear about what you want in life is the first step in accomplishing your goals.
- The RV trip started as a 6-month journey and changed to 15-months (around 35,000 miles between their motorhome and their mini cooper).
- They budgeted $50/day for the trip, and it ended up costing them closer to $90/day.
- JD believes you should not pursue purpose if it leads you into debt.
- When driving through rural South Dakota, their RV engine blew out—JD says this a perfect example of why an emergency fund is so important.
- They picked up a puppy in Tahlequah, OK ☺ and brought her home with them—which took three weeks in the RV.
- Some of JD and his girlfriend’s favorite places they visited during their trip include southern Louisiana and southern Florida.
- Their favorite meal outside of the RV was a crawfish boil in Lafayette, LA.
- JD is now back to reality and back to work.
- He created www.moneyboss.com to help people to take ownership of their lives and manage their finances like they would manage a business.
- TAKEAWAY: Remember the importance of choosing a financially healthy lifestyle no matter what goals you may have.
Random Three Questions
- What is your favorite time of day?
- What is next on your travel goals?
- What is your favorite book about living a more financially fulfilling life?
Connect with JD: