The Joys and Pains of Single Parenthood with Sarah Bettencourt
On this episode of Martinis and Your Money, I am talking to Sarah Bettencourt, Chief Blonde Officer of The Blonde Spot and host of the Monday Morning Mimosas podcast! As many of you know, I’m an entrepreneur and founder of the company the Financial Gym – but my highest priority job is as the single mom of my 11-year-old son Will. I salute and applaud all of the single parents out there working so hard to create and/or sustain a better life for you and your children. It is not an easy task! During this episode, Sarah and I discuss the amazing career she has built while raising her son and dealing with the joys and pains of single-parenthood. Her strength, perseverance and work ethic are an inspiration for anyone – whether you are raising kids or not! Cheers!
What are we drinking?
Sarah — a classic mimosa & a cup of coffee
Shannon — Deep Eddy’s grapefruit vodka with club soda
- Sarah is a 28-years-old social media entrepreneur and mom to son Fox.
- Her story begins when she became pregnant at 24, left her ex-husband after being married for 9 months and needed to make money fast to support herself and Fox.
- Her micro-marketing firm, The Blonde Spot, is on track to bring in $25,000/month starting in January 2018.
- Her core industries include spas, attorneys & finance.
- She has been in business for herself full-time for two years and and part-time for seven years.
- Shannon asks Sarah how she built her career and business while being a single mom.
- She says her number one priority is being a good mom to her son.
- She discusses the sacrifices she has to make – going out on less dates, hanging out with friends less, spending less on clothes each year, etc. – to ensure Fox is fed, clothed and happy.
- Sarah offers insight into how she manages her time while working from home so she can spend as much time with her son as possible.
- Sarah and Shannon agree it is necessary that kids – especially boys – see the modern woman as someone with goals and ambitions.
- Shannon says it’s so important to live a life your kids can be proud of.
- Sarah discusses dating as a single mom and Shannon talks about her experience using the dating app Bumble.
- Sarah advises single parents to let out any negative energy so you can move on and do what you need to do to provide for your kids.
- Do not be afraid to devote time and energy to your career or other interests.
- TAKEAWAY: As a parent – single or not – it is easy to prioritize our kids’ lives over our own, but creating a life through work or other activities that you are proud of first is the best thing for you and for your kids!
Random Three Questions
- If you could build any other business or work in any other area, what would you do and why?
- What is a show you love to binge-watch?
- If you were to win a million dollars, what would you do with it?
Connect with Sarah:
If you need or want someone to help you with your money – especially if you are a single parent – reach out to my team at the Financial Gym! No matter where you are in your financial journey, our financial trainers can help you get where you want to go. Head over to financialgym.com/friends to sign up today!