Summer Savings Tips
On today’s podcast, I’m talking to Andrea Woroch, a consumer money-saving expert who has appeared on The Today Show, Good Morning America, and other programs, about ways to save money this summer! Summertime often presents a challenge for people to save money; and Andrea shares tips on ways to save money on everything from vacations to entertainment to utility bills. This is not only a fun, but a helpful episode for anyone who’s looking to save money this summer.
What are we drinking?
Andrea — a Greyhound (pink grapefruit juice with vodka) sans the vodka because she
is expecting her first child!
Shannon — Lemon martini
- To save money on summer vacations:
- Be flexible about where and when you travel
- Rent a vacation home instead of a hotel because it is often cheaper than a staying at a hotel
- Use Groupon and other sites to find deals for dining out
- To save money on entertainment while on vacation:
- Have a budget for what you are going to do
- Utilize all the free things you can do in the area where you are
- Deal sites often offer deals for entertainment
- Credit cards often have perks for entertainment things as well
- To save money on summer entertainment when staying home:
- Use Pinterest to come up with ideas for entertaining yourself this summer
- Local libraries are a great place to find entertainment also
- To save money on summer barbecues:
- Have a challenge to engage people to bring different things without asking them to contribute
- Look for manager markdowns on meat to throw on the grill
- Make your own marinade
- Don’t pay for convenience – pre-chopped vegetables, fruit trays, etc.
- To save money on utilities in the summer:
- Clean and regularly replace your air conditioning filters to improve efficiency
- Consider having a HVAC company come out to check your unit – spend money on that to ultimately save money!
- Use a power strip or unplug anything you are not using to reduce your energy bill around 5%
- To save money during wedding season:
- Use the vacation tips from earlier to help you save
- Split accommodation costs with friends and family
- Buy used bridesmaids’ dresses online to save if you are a bridesmaid’
- Use discount gift card sites to purchase the couple a gift
- Consider offering the couple a service instead of spending money on a gift
Random Three Questions
- Are you an appetizer or dessert person?
- What is one of your favorite movies that you can watch over and over again?
- If you won a million dollars, what would you do with it?
Connect with Andrea: