This week I have been talking about money and happiness and the importance of finding something more in life to give us meaning and direction not only mentally but financially. Here are my top ten movies about people who found that something more, and it is funny how most people seem to find it around the holidays, go figure! If you haven’t seen some of these movies, I highly encourage it. Talk about feeling good!
10) Erin Brockovich – I love that this movie is based on a true story and how Erin realized that despite her shortcomings, she could help others and make a difference.
9) The Wizard of Oz – After a long and arduous journey, Dorothy finds that she and her friends all have something more and it is within them from the beginning.
8) The Polar Express – I remember when my dad would read this book to me, and even though the movie is a little creepy compared to the book, it is a great message that sometimes your something more in life is just “belief.”
7) Groundhog Day – I love this movie for so many reasons, but I love the fact that Phil discovers that there is more to life than just sharing the weather and when he gives himself to others, he finds his happiness.
6) Cars – This is one of my all-time favorite Disney/Pixar movies. After breaking down in the quiet town of Radiator Springs, race car, Lightning McQueen, learned the importance of slowing down and making friends.
5) Pay it Forward – It was nice to see Haley Joel Osment in a movie where he was not seeing dead people, but rather helping the living and making a difference in people’s lives. Whenever you drive through a fast food restaurant or Starbucks, you should pay for the person behind you. Such a fun, easy way to pay it forward.
4) Mr. Holland’s Opus – Since I am married to a teacher, I know that sometimes they don’t always know just how much impact they have on their student’s lives, and Mr. Holland gets to see it literally play out before his eyes.
3) City Slickers – I love that Mitch was forced by his wife to “find his smile.” He was definitely someone in search for something more and surprisingly he found it during a cattle drive.
2) Family Man – This is actually one of my favorite Nicholas Cage movies, and I remember feeling so upset when he woke up in his bedroom alone in his apartment. He really “missed out” on so much, but at least he went out to find it again.
1) It’s a Wonderful Life – George Bailey is definitely someone who understands the value of helping others, and thankfully his guardian angel helped him remember just how special his sacrifices were to those he helped.
What are your favorite movies about the discovery of something more to life?